question

lordcyril avatar image
lordcyril asked

Blue Smart 12v 5A clicking

Hi, my charger makes clicking sound, about every 10 seconds. Is that normal?

Someone have asked same question, but nobody gives the answer?

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@LordCyril

There is a relay in there. it connects and disconnects the charger to the battery in simplistic terms. It is there for a number of reasons, safety and charge control mainly.

If it is on storage mode it does do that clicking on and off. So more information is needed here.

What state is the charger in when you hear clicking?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lordcyril avatar image lordcyril commented ·
Charger start clicking when it was on ABS mode, and continue clicking on Float mode.
0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ lordcyril commented ·
Like Alexandra said, it's the relay that is clicking. That's fine.
0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I cam imaging being a Switching PSU inside that it might faintly click periodically especially when the charging current is low or it's in Float or Storage mode.
It's obviously difficult to say for sure without hearing it.

1 comment
2 |3000

lordcyril avatar image lordcyril commented ·

I comment on previous answer, you can find video there.

0 Likes 0 ·
alexp avatar image
alexp answered ·

I have the same charger, using it for different batteries - can confirm that it's not related to operating mode or current. I would say that it depends more on the battery than anything else.

Most certainly, relay is clicking but it should NOT work like that. It's either faulty unit or bad design.

Relay is mechanical device, contacts have limited number of "cycles" before they burn out.

It is acceptable for relay to click on/off in certain protection scenarios but on/off every few seconds over hours long charging will certainly lead to premature failure.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic