question

c-h avatar image
c-h asked

micro-inverter and Victron

Hi there,

I plan to build a Victron system with Pylontech storage. I also have another 8 solar panels that are connected via micro-inverters. For example the Hoymiles. Is it possible to connect the PV with the microinverter to the Victron so that the electricity from this is also stored in the pylontechs?

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, this can be done. It is called AC-coupling.
Your existing PV can be connected on the AC-IN side or the AC-OUT side of a suitably sized MultiPlus or Quattro.

Have a look at this document to get an idea of the requirements:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

baxter avatar image
baxter answered ·

Does anyone knows if the Hoymiles works with the frequency shifting by the Multiplus?

1 comment
2 |3000

justin-adan avatar image justin-adan commented ·
also interested in this, keen to add another bank of panels with Micro inverters in AC coupled mode, seems more cost effective than going Fronius route
0 Likes 0 ·
rvicev avatar image
rvicev answered ·

I´ve asked Hoymiles today and their answer was that their HM-series micro-inverters support frequency shift power management.

2 |3000

lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

I have about 9 micros different makes & power - works well - some before some after the multi

Just be aware on AC out critical - Rule 1.0 aplies so not more max micro then max multi.....

2 |3000

rvicev avatar image
rvicev answered ·

@lifeingalicia : ¨Rule 1.0 applies so not more max micro then max multi...¨

That is not what Rule 1.0 says, and this is exactly the problem when dimensioning for example a multiplus with microinverters.

Take for example Enphase IQ7+ spec :

- recommended modules : 235 - 440 Wp

- output (AC) max : 295 VA

If you were to use 235 Wp panels, then according to Rule 1.0 you should use the sum of panel Wp in use (panels under-dimensioned). However, if you were to use 440 Wp panels then you should use the sum of microinverter Wp installed (panels over-dimensioned).

Thing is : Enphase does not specify at which panel Wp the maximum AC output of their IQ7+ may be obtained ...... (I guess somewhere in the middle, ca 340 Wp, but that´s guessing - don´t know if this is linear).

Unfortunately, all microinverter manufacturers I have come across specify in the same manner (wouldn´t it be nice if they would simply provide a small graph with AC output vs panel Wp ?).

So if you were to use the sum of microinverter Wp, you are obviously not doing anything wrong, but you may not be getting the maximum out of the system (or you may be overdimensioning the multi, whichever way you look at it) if your panels are under-dimensioned.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic