question

richie-trent avatar image
richie-trent asked

Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80 overload on 800 watts

We have a Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80; the Multi Control GX unit is lighting up an overload fault when trying to run a 800 watt percolator. The unit is supposed to be able to output a continuous 2000watts. Even if the percolator is using much more than it's spec'd 800watts, I can't understand why this would overload the inverter.

Is it possible there is a setup issue with the Multiplus?

Thoughts?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There are several coffee machines which have terrible power factor and some of them even chop half of the waveform away. This causes havoc as the inverter tries for power such devices because there is a horrible inrush current 50 (or 60) times a second which causes the overload that you observe.

I had a 750W coffee machine which will overload my 3000W inverter. I don't use that coffee machine anymore, not even on the grid because it is so badly designed.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

richie-trent avatar image richie-trent commented ·
Great to know, thanks!

We also tried an induction cooktop which wreaked havoc on the Multiplus.

0 Likes 0 ·
Now I remember, when we did a trial run of the induction cooktop, alarm bells starting ringing from every corner; the Multiplus was sending a "excessive voltage ripple" alarm, as well as low voltage after only about 30 seconds running the cooktop.
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Your system's max rated continuous output is 2000VA (1600W) at 25 degrees C and even lower at higher temps. What are the current settings? What was the Multi Control set to when it overloaded?

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks for the info. Current settings?

We have the Multi Control set at 15amps, but I believe that only controls the incoming charge current.

0 Likes 0 ·