question

cochonpentu avatar image
cochonpentu asked

SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 - load current too low

Hi,

Trying to install a small off-grid solar system for an academic research with my minipigs ;-)

Monitoring the power produced via the VictronConnect app tells me something is wrong but I can't seem to be able to troubleshoot it myself. The power is jumping to about 10W once in a while and then drops to 0W. Current shows mostly 0.1A. Attached are all Trends screenshots from the Victron app. Can someone please help me?

My installation:

SmartSolar MPPT 100/20

Solar Panel from Solarex (Pmax 53W // Imax 3.08 // Vmax 17.2)

SuperWatt Gel 200 Ah 12V

Thanks a bunch!

Mitch!

(you can my minipigs on IG: @cochonpentu ;-))

whatsapp-image-2022-01-18-at-131818.jpeg

whatsapp-image-2022-01-18-at-131818-1.jpeg

whatsapp-image-2022-01-18-at-134255-1.jpeg

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Cochonpentu

I think your mppt may be (at least partly) disconnected from your batteries. Check your wires/crimps/fuse/isolator/etc.

The clue to this is the batt V jumping around significantly with just the 0.1A of current spike. It wouldn't do this with 200Ah of batt attached.

The multiple attempts is possibly because the mppt needs 5V of headroom between Voc and Vbat. But it's not getting the real Vbat, just the V from it's own output terminals (which isn't stable).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cochonpentu avatar image cochonpentu commented ·
@JohnC: Thanks a lot for your great help! I disconnected everything and reconnected it all and it seems that the issue is now resolved.

All the best,

Mitch.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Please attach the MPPT settings as well.

Is it winter where you are?

1 comment
2 |3000

cochonpentu avatar image cochonpentu commented ·
Thanks @kevgermany! It seemed the issue was caused by faulty wiring. I appreciate your help!

Best,

Mitch

0 Likes 0 ·