question

fosters avatar image
fosters asked

Which equipment to purchase ? New Project

Hi All,

My current system is a solar edge generating on average 4.6MWh per year and more than enough power to cover my demands 100% during at least 6-7 months of the year.

I have been looking at battery systems for a while and want to use Victron

I would like to install a Multiplus-II inverter I am looking at the 48/8000 to have enough power to cover the peak demands of my electric Hob & oven.

In the future, we will extend so will want to add some more panels, to improve the winter months.

I am looking for your support/advice to create a shopping list for my requirements.

many thanks

1642430875931.png

1642430856298.png

Multiplus-II
1642430856298.png (32.0 KiB)
1642430875931.png (31.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
bbmz avatar image
bbmz answered ·

4.6MWh p.a. indicate a SE5000H in a 1-phase system (if my assumption of UK is right).

An 48/8000/110 - at least from my perspective - does match very well. If your plans of adding more PV are quite sure, you could thing about switching to the 48/10000/140 or - of course - add later a second 8kVA unit.

You need some 48V batteries - Pylontech were already mentioned elsewhere. You don‘t need a measurement device / CT because the Multiplus 2 has already sensors inside.

If you want to have more management options, statistics, etc. think about getting a cerbo.

Please be aware, that the self-consumption of a multiplus and the batteries will take up quite a lot of your production - especially in winter. Keep this in mind by calculating your invest / return.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

No disrespect to the wonderful fellas at victron, but their batteries have a miserable cost per kwh.

You may want to cast a wider net and look for something which may perform better in cold environments and give you a bit more bang for the buck. There is a lot of choice and all the supported options are here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

2 comments
2 |3000

fosters avatar image fosters commented ·

I was just after your advice on the system setup, as for the batteries I was looking at PylonTech

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ fosters commented ·
My bad, you said you were looking for battery systems and had victron in mind. Pays not to read too much into it.

Nothing wrong with pylons.

You mentioned you wanted to DIY. Please read the many sources of info on their site, it isn’t always as intuitive as you may expect so professional advice helps a lot.

As you can see there are so many posts from people on this forum who haven’t quite managed to get it right.

Good luck and hope it turns out well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You should contact a local Victron installer/distributor.

https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

The country you are from is also an important information because each country has different laws on that topic.

In Germany for example you will never be allowed to use just one 8000VA single phase device because you have to spread the loads equally over the three available phases.

1 comment
2 |3000

fosters avatar image fosters commented ·
Thanks for your reply, we just have a single phase supply @ 100A. Once I have DNO approval I will install myself.
0 Likes 0 ·