question

brian-new avatar image
brian-new asked

Ground Relay with Isolation Transformer

Hello,

I am installing 2x, 24/5000 Quattro's in split phase with an Autotransformer on a boat with an isolation transformer. My question is regarding the ground relay settings.

I understand the standard instructions are to disable the relay in the inverters and enable it in the autotransformer. Is this also correct for a marine application with an isolation transformer?

Thank you.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGrounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The isolation transformer isolates any upstream grounding systems and so a new grounding system likely needs to be created on the boat.
In a conventional 120V split phase system, the Autotransformer's ground relay would be used to make the Ground-Neutral bond at its centre tap. Then the Quattro's ground relays would need to be disabled.

ALWAYS have your electrician make the correct decisions and to perform the installation. There may be things in the system that I do not know about which would nullify what I have outlined above.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.