question

flo16v avatar image
flo16v asked

Multiplus 2 Clacking under medium load

Hello, my name is Florian and I am in the process of converting our mobile home to Victron products. I started installing the Multiplus 2 today.
During a test run, the noise occurred under low load (5-600 watts). At high load (1.6-1.8Kw) the multi is silent.
Does anyone have an idea what that could be. It's not quite as loud in real life as in the video, but that's definitely not normal. Does anyone of you have a tip what I can check?
Many Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgmyFC8zHgI

Greetings Florian

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

To me that sounds like the fan contacting something at low rpm, which stabilises at high RPM.

That inverter is installed on it's side which may be the issue. It can be installed vertically, or on it's back, that doesn't seem like an approved way to install it.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

flo16v avatar image flo16v commented ·

Thanks for the quick reply. The fan is not running at this time. It sounds more like a relay that wants to switch quickly. Unfortunately I have no other options to install the inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ flo16v commented ·

Could be a relay. Will leave it to one of the others here who knows the internals better.

In the meanwhile, perhaps provide a better overview of the configuration, settings and wiring. Will make it easier for everyone.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

0 Likes 0 ·
flo16v avatar image
flo16v answered ·

The Multiplus is installed in a mobile home. 12 Volt DC comes from the battery to the Multiplus via a 300A fuse. AC in is on shore power. AC Out 1 supplies the sockets in the mobile home and AC Out 2 supplies the refrigerator and the electric heating rods of the Alde heating.

Greeting Florian

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You can take the cover off and get a better idea where the noise is coming from. But be very careful. Also don't break your warranty. This does mean uninstalling it, though. Did you try the unit before installation? Does it make the nois in a more normal upright position?

2 |3000

Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos answered ·

That sounds like a very sick inverter.

To my ear that sounds like a broken / unbalanced fan hitting something, it doesn't sound like a relay switching, a relay is more of a click, that's more of a knocking sound.

Take out the inverter, turn it upright and test again, if it still does the same, then take it back to the dealer where you purchased it.

2 |3000

blutow avatar image
blutow answered ·

I can't seem to view your video, but are you using a heat gun or something with variable power to test? I had this same issue (heat gun on half power) when I was originally testing my multiplus and the explanation is that they use a diode in the heat gun and it causes the weirdness. I've been using the multiplus for over 9 months now and have never heard that noise is normal operation.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Video should work if you use the URL, clicking on the video didn't work for me either.
0 Likes 0 ·
porcini avatar image
porcini answered ·

Sounds like a defective unit. Broken fans or difficult loads sound different.

2 |3000

flo16v avatar image
flo16v answered ·

Thank you for the answers. My seller agrees that the noise is not normal. With difficult loads, the Multiplus hums a little louder, but the clicking is not normal. Let's see what Vivtron has to say about this. Many Thanks

2 |3000