question

luphi avatar image
luphi asked

using GX tank 140 to monitor DIY battery cells?

Hello community,

I just wonder if one could use a GX tank 140 connected to a cerbo to monitor single cells of a DIY battery.

In details:

I have a battery made of 4x EVE LF280 cells, currently protected by a Daly BMS. The dbus-serialbattery driver is working fine but the meassured values by the BMS seams to be not very accurate, even it's not able to meassure current <1A.capture.pngThe 33W AC load should include the self consumption of the inverter, right?

BMS is showing 46W output. I would expect to see 13W going to DC (cerbo+router+idle MPPT)

My idea is to replace the current/SOC monitoring of theDaly BMS by a SmartShunt.

So far so good but how to monitor single battery cells?

A GX tank 140 can meassure voltage, right?

So, why not confiure four voltage based tank levels with an input range of 0-5 Volts, representing four 500l tanks. Each liter will then represent 0.01V.

Does that makes any sense? Will it work like this?

Apprechiating your opinions.

Cheers,

luphi

BMS
capture.png (18.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

This will not work.
The inputs are each referenced to GND. So connecting any of the GND points of the TankGX to cells in the middle of your battery will cause a dead short circuit over the cell.
The TankGX module will then explode reasonably spectacularly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

luphi avatar image
luphi answered ·

Hello wkirby,

thank you for your quick response and saving my money.

Cheers,

luphi

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic