question

robert6569 avatar image
robert6569 asked

Quattro and Multiplus overcharge battery when connected to Genset

Hi. I'm having an issue with Quattro and Multiplus inverters continuing to send a small amount of current to the batteries even though the batteries are at 100% and the charge current is supposed to be 0. This only happens when connected to a genset, the systems work properly when connected to the grid. I have tried the assistant that is supposed to turn off the charger when charge current is 0 but this has no effect. Any help would be much appreciated.

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

To repeat the most common mantra: you're going to give a whole lot more detail about the setup and all the settings, unless you can loan us a crystal ball - the batteries are flat in the current one :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robert6569 avatar image
robert6569 answered ·

Thanks for the quick reply. I am an installer and this is a common problem for me that I have been trying to solve for a while so its not isolated to a single system. I can give you the details of one such system. 10kVA Quattro with 4 X US3000B Pylontech batteries and a 150/100 Smartsolar MPPT with 18 X 330W panels. AC input 1 is connected to the grid and AC input 2 is connected to a Tech Africa 11kVA Genset. The system also has a CCGX. When the genset is running and the batteries have reached 100%, the battery voltage creeps up above 53V (when connected to grid it never goes above 52.5V) and the MPPT shuts down with Error code: #38 - Input shutdown due to battery over-voltage.

mppt-settings.jpg

inverter-settings.jpg

Let me know if you need any further details.

6 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@robert6569

Is there a particular reason why the mppt and the victron are not set the same? And to recommended voltages on mppt?

Is this happening when some solar is available and the genny is running?

I did have a set of batteries (not Pylons) do this on grid at night, but found it was a cell balancing issue that was causing this, had to have the battery repaired.

FYI the battery bank at 4x US3000 is a bit undersized for a 10kva. Needs two more units to be most correct for nominal running.

0 Likes 0 ·
robert6569 avatar image robert6569 Alexandra ♦ commented ·
The settings are according to the pylontech page in the list of compatible batteries and the reason for the different voltages made sense but I don't remember what the reason was.

The problem is the same if not worse when solar is available.

The pylontechs tend to have a cell balancing issue when they are new but it resolves itself after a few days.

I know that 4 batteries is a bit light for a 10kVA but this inverter is oversized, an 8kVA would easily have handled and the clients' nighttime loads are minimal.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ robert6569 commented ·
There was a reason many years ago (like more than 5) where the mppts were set higher to get them to work more. But this is no longer the case. With battery comms and DVCC, the mppts should be the same as the inverter.

52v abs and 51v float.

The minimum batteries are sized for the inverter and solar, not for loads. Unless the autonomy requires a larger bank that should be the minimum in the setup.

0 Likes 0 ·
robert6569 avatar image robert6569 Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Lowering the voltages on the mppt will make the problem worse because error 38 occurs when the voltage of the battery exceeds the settings of the mppt. For Pylontech, Victron overrides the requested voltage from the battery (float 53.2) and sits at around 52.5, which is above the absorption setting on the mppt. The issue with the mppt is a symptom of the main issue which is that the inverter doesn't stop charging the battery when connected to a generator (mainly cheaper generators).

Regarding the battery and inverter sizes, 8kVA was out of stock.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
I would have thought that Temperature compensation would not be used? Re smart solar settings.
0 Likes 0 ·
robert6569 avatar image robert6569 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
The temperature compensation is set by default and I leave it that way. The mppt is controlled by DVCC so the setting isn't going to do anything.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Did you set the AC IN 2 to "generator" in the CCGX -> Settings -> System-Setup?

Try to use a different setting there.

1 comment
2 |3000

robert6569 avatar image robert6569 commented ·
This issue also occurs when the generator and grid are on the same input through a change-over switch.
0 Likes 0 ·