question

jsnm avatar image
jsnm asked

BMV-712 blank display

Twice in the last couple of months I've found the BMV display blank. The first time I didn't have time to look into it and then a week later the display was back on. Now it's dead again. All connections at the shunt check out fine. I'd like to test the RJ12 cable. Or at least the DC power feed. Is there a pinout for that cable?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
jsnm avatar image
jsnm answered ·

I finally heard from Alan Santos-Buch . He's the Victron North America sales manager. Alan sent me a replacement shunt circuit board. I swapped that out and all seems to be well.

Thanks Alan!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Does sound like a wiring issue.

DC feed should be straightforward. This would be first guess, as with DC and no RJ12, you should see something on the display.

RJ12 - you probably don't need a pin out, just test end to end across the contacts with a meter and thin probes. But I suspect that as it's intermittent, you'll not find anything.

2 |3000

ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

Hi there just a wee note maybe the fuse holder going to the bmv/shunt? I had a similar issue changed the fuse and no problems since, my cap on the small spring wire wasn’t seated right either but not sure what caused it from the two. Also try changing the RJ12 cable and see if that sorts it maybe a broken wire inside it

Just an idea hope it helps david

1 comment
2 |3000

jsnm avatar image jsnm commented ·
I'm not sure which fuse you mean but I've got battery voltage at both B1 and B2 connections on the shunt. That tells me the fuses are good.
0 Likes 0 ·
jsnm avatar image
jsnm answered ·

I have battery voltage between pins 2 and 5. So I'm getting DC power out of the shunt.

Running another temporary cable from the shunt to the BMV head unit didn't breathe any life into the display :-(

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

I think you need to talk to your dealer.

0 Likes 0 ·
jsnm avatar image jsnm kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Yes, I've attempted to contact the dealer but I have no response from them yet.
0 Likes 0 ·
jsnm avatar image
jsnm answered ·

I finally heard back from the seller. They are not going to be any help. All I got from them is this:

"Please contact the manufacturer - we only have a 30 day replacement policy on sales."

Victron says contact the seller, the seller says talk to Victron. I'm quite disappointed with the process.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

We're mostly volunteers, not Victron.

But all warranty and servicing is done through the dealer network. There's an escalation route for this, I'll find out for you.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/support

If necessary, get hold of your regional sales manager.

2 |3000