question

Marc Heymans avatar image
Marc Heymans asked

Multiplus as a Charger only on 3 phase system

I am setting up a 3 phase system (3 x 5kva Multi) with AC coupled inverter on Pylontech with a cerbo. This is in a remote area with limited grid connection. The generator is 3 phase and will be connected to the inputs of each multi.

The grid is only single phase so can I connect a fourth multi to the battery bank and run it as a charger only when the grid is available and will the cerbo recognize it as a charger?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Meine_Energiewende avatar image
Meine_Energiewende answered ·

A fourth multi works as a charger but will not be recognized by the cerbo. I've exactly the same setup. I use a Raspberry Pi with VenusOS and a MK3 Interface to communicate with the charger. The "large" Image with Node-Red is installed on the cerbo (3 phase side) which sends MQTT Commands to the Raspberry to tell the charger what to do (e.g. charge at a certain SOC).

Jens

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Marc Heymans avatar image Marc Heymans commented ·
Thanks, So if i set up the multi as a "dumb" charger and just set charging voltages then perhaps the BMS inside the pylontech will let the Cerbo know the SOC?
0 Likes 0 ·
hubert avatar image hubert commented ·

Hi all, found this topic because I'm considering similar scenario: AC decoupled Multiplus and Quattro working on one system (with Victron GX controller). One is in charger only state.

Anything changed? Maybe now it's possible to include this charger-only multi/quattro and control it in a same manner as generator (starting and stopping at defined SOC etc.

Hubert

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Why not use a straight charger?Cheaper and there doesn't seem to be a need for a fourth multi.

2 comments
2 |3000

Marc Heymans avatar image Marc Heymans commented ·
Already have the multi on site

0 Likes 0 ·
away avatar image away Marc Heymans commented ·
The Pylontech battery is a 48V system. To my knowledge, the only dedicated chargers that Victron have in 48V are the Skylla models and they are not controllable via the GX device.
0 Likes 0 ·