question

gilles avatar image
gilles asked

RCB and multiplus

I am currently installing a multiplus 800va in my RV. I am wondering if i put two RCB + MCB upstream and downstream a multiplus (like i saw in some Victron diagrams). Or just one unit RCB+MCB after the multiplus. I will also ground the earth from the RCB/MCB and the multiplus to the chassis

My Victron dealer said it was not necessary to add one unit of protection before the multiplus AC IN because there is already one install in any 230v source ( house, campground ..etc).

But still, i am wondering if there is a problem at the source wouldnt that become a potential danger in my RV too.

For example in a travel where we plug into unknown places, is there a risk ?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

When I designed and built my system, I followed the design from the Easysolar series inverter/chargers.

easysolar-ac-details.png

2 pole MCB on inverter ac input. 2 pole RCD on inverter output.

I have no ac gpo before the inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
gilles avatar image
gilles answered ·

@klim8skeptic Thanks for sharing your point of view.

When you say : "I have no ac gpo before the inverter. "

You mean that you don't have an 30A Rv plug to hook up to 230V or 110V ?

I think it is wise to put an MCB and a RCD or just an MCB at least before the multiplus in order to protect the device. In case something wrong happen.

Then an MCB + RCD after the multi to protect both people and cable like the easy solar you showed me. Thanks

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.