question

ntilley52 avatar image
ntilley52 asked

Inverter/charger DC ground to chassis, battery to chassis

I am installing a Multiplus inverter charger in my motorhome, it will be in the back under the bed, the lithium batteries are under the entry steps in the middle of the coach. I know i have to run large cable for such a long run(20ish feet). But my question is if i run the two (4/0awg) battery cables needed to the DC+, can i run a shorter set of cables from Multiplus DC- to the motorhome frame(just under it) and then up size my DC- to frame cable on the batteries where they are already hooked to the frame. essentially using the frame of the RV in place of the DC- cable. This is mainly to save in installation cost. Is there any issues this would cause. thanks

Grounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I would not like to rely on the chassis to carry very large currents a long distance. The current path may pass through a narrow section or a weld or joint that is not intended to carry hundreds of Amps. The lugs and chassis are made of dissimilar metals which would require regular inspection when hundreds of Amps are passing through continuously
It would be much better to run copper cables up to the MultiPlus for reliable operation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Ground, earth and electrical safety

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic