question

myedsore avatar image
myedsore asked

Multiplus & lithium alternator charging

I have 48v lithium batteries connected to a Multiplus 2 48/5000/70 in my motorhome. My start batteries are 24v as is the alternator output. I was hoping to use a Phoenix 24/1600 connected thru a changeover switch to run the multiplus while driving. As I understand it the new smart phoenix can also detect the engine running. Is this the preferred method as I do not see any Orion DC-DC units for 24v to 48v that are suitable to use as a charger direct to the lithiums.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @myedsore

Using an inverter to do this seems to me a little overkill. But the 'preferred' method is what you decide.

Depends on your batteries, loads, alternator capacity, etc,. but I'd be more inclined to try an Orion converter(s). There's a 24/48-8.5 (400W) listed. These are manually set, with a tiny screwdriver (& multimeter), and will hold reliably to that constant V. If your batts can live with that then it's a far cheaper option (even in multiples). Has a 'remote' port for switching on via engine status..

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Orion-Tr-DC-DC-converters-isolated-100-250-400W-EN.pdf

They don't report anything, but maybe your batt bms does? If not, even a shunt monitor would be a worthy addition too.

Neither takes up much space.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

Take a look at Safiery and their DC/DC chargers

2 |3000