question

smueff1970 avatar image
smueff1970 asked

combining multiplus II 3000 and 5000

Hi,

is it possible to combine

2x Victron Multiplus-II 48/3000

1x Victron Multiplus-II 48/5000

with 3 phases to have on the first phase a little bit more power ?

Thanks

Thomas

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

d-ferdi avatar image d-ferdi commented ·

hello,

i know only one posibility, to combine different type of multiplus. you can connect the output of the first to the input of the second and limit the input-current of the second to the value, the first is not overloaded. you can add the power of the two multiplus to get more power (not 100% of every multiplus, but 80-90%).

this is possible with 3-phase- or single phase-systems. you can also add on multiplus to one phase of a 3-phase-system. but don't connect 3-phase loads to the added multiplus. this can make problems and you must limit the input-power of the added multiplus to a value, you can get from the from the 3-phase systems when the 3-pase loads are on or you will overload one multiplus of the 3-phase-system.

i have install two 3-phase systems (multiplus 24/5000 and multiplus II 48/5000) and can change this to be the 24/5000 first or the 48/5000 first). but i can't get the maximum power of 8 kW for a phase. i think 7 kW is possible without problems. but with 21 kW for 3 phases, i have enouth power.

a friend have connect one multiplus 24/3000 after a 3-phase-system with the same typ to have more power for 230V devices.

it is also possible, to get more power (max 200% of one multiplu) from a 3-phase-system if you add 3 trafos 240/120V and put them on secondary site in serie. you can split the power (50%/25%/25%) to the 3 multiplus if the power factor is 1.

goodby

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

All units have to be the same. We had this question already a few times in the community.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bbmz avatar image bbmz commented ·
Hi Matthias, do you know if this limitation of identical devices also applies to ESS with external control (ESS mode 2 or 3)? Thanks, Michael
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@smueff1970
If you want one phase with more power, you can add second MP-ll i parallel at that phase.

They all have to be identical models to make them work as 3-phase, but to make two work in parallel their hardware revisions must be close.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/91403/how-to-balance-2-mp-iis-in-parallel.html

2 comments
2 |3000

bbmz avatar image bbmz commented ·
Thanks for your interesting comment. It‘s the first time that I‘m reading about using an (unbalanced) number for different phases. Victron usually talks about „sets“ (of three).

Is there really an option to use e.g. 4 identical MP-II in an 3-phase configuration (and therefore two in „parallel-mode“ on L1, while two in „single-mode“ on L2 and L3 respectively)? Can someone confirm that this is infact working? Or are there even members that use a setup like this?
0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp bbmz commented ·

@bbmz

To be clear.

I never tried this myself, but my Victron installer told me that it is possible.

I have 3 phase and 2 MP-ll parallel per phase.

I asked him, what will happen if one MP-ll fails. Will the whole system be down?

He said that that one phase can be configured with only one MP-II and will provide less power.

0 Likes 0 ·