question

ahrenst avatar image
ahrenst asked

Equipment requirements

Hi,

does someone have a Vitron diagram and equipment specification for something what would work for a setup shown below?

1640184619505.png

Will the PowerControl be have to set manually when switching from grid to gen-set? This is something I would like to avoid.

wiring diagram
1640184619505.png (23.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

In light of the forum rules with regards to system design, I can only propose reading up on the ESS and generator start stop documents on the Victron website.

Some basic tips however are. The Quattro range or even new Quattro-II will allow both the grid and generator connections. If it is a Multiplus-II, you will have to implement a transfer switch, which can be automatic or manual.

Maybe look at the Multiplus-II, Multiplus-II GX or even the Easysolar-II GX depending on whether the 4.4kW (5kVA systems) will suit the requirements. If you only occasionally exceed the max output, it is not a problem as the ESS system will just top up the shortfall from the grid. (There is so much more to a system design than a diagram, so you may want to consult with a Victron installer/dealer.)

The differences between the above Multiplus-II models are the level of integration of inverter/charger, GX and MPPT devices in a single system and the all-in-one Easysolar may just do the trick, but you can find all that on the Victron website.

The "no power limit when the grid is used" will depend on the peak loads when in passthru mode and whether you have loads on the ACOUT of the multiplus. In essence, there is a limit determined by the model and transfer switch rating. This can however be overcome with a grid parallel installation, which only requires a connection to the ACIN.

Finally, the ESS assistant can be programmed to charge to a schedule, disallow feedin etc. which are all explained in the documentation. Do ensure that before you buy the system has a G98/G99 certificate (UK) or equivalent to allow it to be connected to the grid wherever you are.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ahrenst avatar image ahrenst commented ·

Thanks for the reply.

I have send a message again to the UK supplier after reading your reply and this is the answer I got:

"If you are referring to a generator setup to back up the Inverter when the PV is not available this can be chosen based on the power rating of the Inverter, example below:

Inverter rated at 5kW it will require a generator that has a real output power minimum of 7.5kW."

So who do I talk to now to design my requirements?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic