rocketmanmonaco avatar image
rocketmanmonaco asked

Multiplus low temperature cutoff

Hello,

On my MotorHome, I have:

Smartshunt (w/ temp cable)

A couple of Smart Mppt’s

CCGX (DVCC turned on)

Multiplus 12/3000 (set to Lithium batteries)

My concern is low temperature charging, the mppt’s are not charging below 41F (my setting), I have verified that.
I am trying to verify if the Multiplus will or won’t charge at 32F or 0C. I seem to find all kinds of different opinions.
Do I need some extra wires and assistants to stop charging- I would prefer to not charge below 41F, but I am not sure how to make that happen.

Thanks for your help.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

1639944830231.png

I would presume the GX shares the smart shunt data with the MP, but I wouldn't take it for granted. Experiment by setting it to a temperature higher than it actually is, and see if the unit will charge.

1639944830231.png (93.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rocketmanmonaco answered ·

Thanks snoobler,

I finally found that setting in my iphone app on VictronConnect in the Demo settings.

However, when I connect to my MultiPlus with the MK3-to-USB adapter to make changes to the "charger" setting, There is no "Low Temp cut-off" or even a "temp Compensation" box. I did check the Update software and it says the software is up-to-date.

Does this mean I need the Bluetooth adapter for the Multiplus to change this setting? (And can you have booth the Bluetooth adapter and a VE.Bus cable plugged in and running at the same time?)

Thanks to anyone that can help.

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

To use Victron Connect, you need the bluetooth adapter.

The only way I think I could accomplish it in VEConfigure is through assistants, and that's complicated.

2 comments
2 |3000

Jeffery and Carolyn avatar image Jeffery and Carolyn commented ·

We have a Quattro with after market lithium batteries, CerboGX, and a BMV-712. Can I assume that we can also use the above information to stop the Quattro from charging below a certain temperature?

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler Jeffery and Carolyn commented ·
Hopefully, your aftermarket batteries have their own built-in cold temp charging protection.

Options:

1. Update Quattro firmware to current version that allows low temp charging protection and enable in VictronConnect.
  2. Learn Assistants and VEConfigure to implement an assistant to prevent charging at low temps.
0 Likes 0 ·
rocketmanmonaco answered ·

Just to let anyone else who finds this post know, the Demo Library for the Multiplus was used with a MK3-to-USB adapter and then I used Windows 10 VictronConnect (Not Victron Configure).

Still have not got it all solved yet... but I figured I would help anyone find the correct path.

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I lost track of this thread. The low-temp charging protection option wasn't added until a recent firmware version. If your firmware is not up to date, you won't have that option.

2 |3000