question

Daniel Suchý avatar image
Daniel Suchý asked

How to do proper grounding

Hi,

we have 3-phase Multiplus II 5000/48 in offgrid mode (maybe with generator). There quite nice images how to wire grounding inside Wiring Unlimited guide, but I have troubles to understand if grounding bus bar should be connected to some ground rod or if it's enough connect this to negative battery pole?

Also we are not going to use RCD because inside house is TN-C wiring (only L + N wires) to sockets and load.

Thanks.

screenshot-2021-12-11-at-171941.png

Grounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Daniel ! A few things... In my setup the ground is connected to every metallic frame with the home ground (Inverter, Charger, Mppt, and to all the electric plugs at home / garage).

Depending where you are located, grounding the battery bank is not necessary. Mine are not grounded.

BUT, if you are using solar panels, you should have another ground only for them and using a coper rode as grounding. It is recommended having a distance of 20m between the 2 grounds. Also, I am using some lightning protections for the arrival of the DC power coming from the solar PV arrays. Hoping my pictures will help you.

Michel

img-2054.jpg

img-2049.jpg

img-2085.jpg

img-2087.jpg

img-2054.jpg (110.2 KiB)
img-2049.jpg (154.6 KiB)
img-2085.jpg (120.9 KiB)
img-2087.jpg (173.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic