question

marksrv6 avatar image
marksrv6 asked

Ip22 charger

Can anyone tell me why, if I use 35 amps from my battery, measured by using the vicron battery monitor, the charger only puts back 19amps Bulk and 6amps Absorption? that appears to be a deficit of 15amps. The batteries are less than a month old and I have cleaned and tightened all connections.
thanks in advance Mark

bluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You don't say which battery, charger or how it's configured, but

Might be in low current mode

Max charge rate may be set low

Charger might be set wrongly for the battery

Battery limits charge current.

Absorption mode is when battery reaches a specific voltage. At this point the battery is close to fully charged, the charger holds that voltage and the current is what the battery allows, as the state of charge increases at that voltage, current drops off until it's pretty low, at this point the battery is considered fully charged and the charger goes into float mode, maintaining a lower voltage with very low current.

You also need to consider that for max battery life, lower charge rates are better. Just because you draw 35A, doesn't mean you should charge that fast.

Need more info to help further.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Hi Mark, as noted above different batteries require different charger set points for bulk, absorption and float voltages. What is the current config on the charger (a screen shot of the config in VictronConnect will suffice) and what sort of batteries do you have (do they have any documentation on charging voltages). Lastly what are you using to measure your state of charge/current drawn. Sarah.

2 |3000