question

jav6joev avatar image
jav6joev asked

SmartShunt battery bank capacity setting

I have two 12 V 100 Ah SLA batteries that will be connected in parallel (recommended by Will Prowse, https://www.mobile-solarpower.com ) to be monitored by a SmartShunt. Is it correct that I would set the SmartShunt battery capacity setting to 200 Ah? Any comments on my off-grid cabin design are welcome as this is my first solar system install.

smartshunt.jpg

BMV Battery Monitor
smartshunt.jpg (169.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

200 correct.

Take the positive load from the left battery.

Wire the charge +ve input to there as well.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jav6joev avatar image jav6joev commented ·

@kevgermany Thanks. The 'charge +ve' is what? the charge controller? I have a DC Fuseblock (with in-line fuse), Pure Sine Inverter (on same in-line fuse) and a Charge controller (with in-line circuit breaker), all going to the same positive terminal?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 jav6joev commented ·

Use DC busbars where you connect everything: batteries - each connected and fused separatelly on its positive wire (and battery disconnect), MPPT charger - with a fuse on positive wire, inverter - with a fuse on positive wire, DC fuse block - also itself fused, SmartShunt (with the battery negatives wires on one side and the negative busbar for loads and chargers on the other side).

0 Likes 0 ·
jav6joev avatar image jav6joev seb71 commented ·
@Seb71 What size buss bars would be recommended?
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 jav6joev commented ·

The cross section area depends on the current (Amperage) you will have. Bigger is better (but more expensive and takes more room). Make sure it is from copper (best would be tinned copper, because it resist corrosion).

The length and number of bolt holes should be enough to connect everything you need (you should avoid to connect more than one wire lung on each bolt, especially for the wires where you have high currents). If possible, plan for future expansion.

Edit:
You wrote that you already have the batteries. Not much to change now, but you still have the option to put them in series (for a 24V system).

Did you already got the inverter, too? What power you have in mind? For bigger inverters, a 24V (or even 48V) system is preferable. The inverter can only used on a certain system voltage (12V/24V/48V) so be sure you make the correct choice regarding the system/battery voltage from the beginning.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ jav6joev commented ·
Positive connection that charges the battery. +ve is an abbreviation for positive. Sorry for the confusion.
0 Likes 0 ·
jordan-de-geus avatar image
jordan-de-geus answered ·

Did you find out if the smartshunt is total bank capacity or if it's usable capacity?

2 |3000