question

jsatzinger avatar image
jsatzinger asked

BMV-712 Smart BM amps consumed vs percent

I just installed a BMV-712 Smart battery monitor. When the batteries discharge the amp/hr consumed doesn't match the charge percent. Eg., if amp/hrs consumed is -100 (out of total 400) the charge percent is too high, like 82% when it should be 75%? According to another thread, this is normal if the amp draw is light over a longer time, which is the case here. So, when do I reach 50%, when the percentage is 50% or the consumed amp/hrs is -200? In other words, which value is correct? The other thread was very helpful but not clear enough to me. Thanks!

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @jsatzinger

I've tried to answer this a coupla times before, but I run out of patience.. :)

Different approach.. Presumably you have lead batts and the C20 rating of them is 400Ah. Now what is the C100 rating? Much higher I bet (let's say 450Ah), so if you draw the batts down at a lower C100 rate, 200Ah isn't half of 400, it's half of 450. The BMV won't change the 400 setting, but will adjust the %, in this case downwards from the 'apparent' %.

This is all about the Peukert Exponent. There's some explanation in the BMV manual, and a Peukert calculator on the website.

You can actually test the effect it has on VictronConnect, where if you change Peukert to '1.0' the figures will match, set it back to either default or where you want it, and it will return to the 'mismatch'.

How good the reported '%' is depends on the Peukert you choose to run with. And other stuff too, but not going there now.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bella-sirena avatar image
bella-sirena answered ·

WOW Simple I hope hard to get simple with this stuff. I just reset my Peukert to 1.0 and these are the results, am I good now? Goal is solar only on my SV Bella Sirena, PV, Mexico. 1020amps of lifeline batts 4 of them in parallel, 988w of solar over 7 panels (December sun) and the BMV app thank god. Does this now look accurate or close to? My night time batt ah consumed goes up fast at night even with just minor stuff on. Electricity still the grandest mystery of life for all it does with me, but I am the non rocket scientist in this thread. INPUT to me considered HIGH value with mucho gracias!

unnamed.png

unnamed.png (89.6 KiB)
2 |3000