question

digitaldvd avatar image
digitaldvd asked

VE DIRECT USING TTL TO RS232 CONVERTER USING ELFIN- EW10a rs232 to wifi module

Just in case you are interested i have managed to get victron charger running wifi via the ve direct port using Elfin-ew10 rs232 to wifi t if you are not wanting to use a raspberry pi this is a simple and straight forward option to monitor your charger or any ve direct device via wifi. power consumptions is about 200ma and power output about 700mw the distance can be increased by using a high gain antenna, you have to setup a virtual port on your pc and have the baud rate set to 19200 the over all cost would be around 25us dollars.if there is a virtual port app for your phone you should in theory be able to monitor it on your phone

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

Please can you go into a bit more detail about how you set this up?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

digitaldvd avatar image
digitaldvd answered ·

2.jpg4.jpg3.jpg@Phil Gavin

Hi Phil you need to setup a virtual comport on your pc i use usr-vcom there is plenty off info re virtual com ports on utube, also have to use a ttl to rs232 converter which runs on 5vdc from the ve direct port the edlin wifi unit can run directly of the battery using 5-36v dc if using 48v you would need to use a buck converter to drop the voltage see photos attached1.jpg

1.jpg (120.4 KiB)
2.jpg (132.6 KiB)
3.jpg (103.3 KiB)
4.jpg (93.1 KiB)
2 |3000

digitaldvd avatar image
digitaldvd answered ·

Have setup wifi using ve direct port on a smartshunt and its working perfectly not sure if its just my phone which is android but when running bluetooth distance seems to be limited also response time when connecting is slow via bluetooth , but via wifi distance is far better and response time is a lot quicker,if anyone reading this knows off an android virtual com port app that works on their phone let us know. Thanks at this time im running this via my pc.

2 |3000

digitaldvd avatar image
digitaldvd answered ·

Have now been able to use long range wifi using the Ubiquiti Nanobeam m5 setup as station and access point this can be upto 10km or more and even further if you use the long range version

this unit is plugged into the ethernet port of the raspberry pi

2 |3000

Related Resources