question

overland avatar image
overland asked

Multiplus won't sync with Generator

Hi I have an off grid system I am using a combination of Solar and Generator to make our power. We are using a Victor Multiplus 12/3000/120 and a "Champion Power Equipment" 3500 Running Watts Generator. The Multiplus and the Generator worked fine together all summer but now the Multiplus will no longer sync with the Generator. Nothing has changed in our settings so I can't understand why the multiplus will no longer sync with the Generator. If I let the generator run for a long time the Multiplus will occasionally sync but will often disconnect after a few moments. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. I have read the FAQ and tried reducing the Charge current to just 10 amps. I also have disabled "UPS mode" and enabled "Dynamic current limiting" and enabled "Weak AC." Still won't connect and I let it run for over 20 minutes. I should note that I also have borrowed a neighbors generator and tested it on the Multiplus with no problems, it connected right away and charged my batteries. This leads me to the conclusion that something with my Champion Generator changed or broke but it seems to still put out power just fine. I am unable to measure the quality of the sine wave from the generator but it seems like if I changed all the settings in the Multiplus (like weak AC) it ought to work seeing as how it worked fine for most of this year. Help! and thanks

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Have you got ess installed or a grid country code setup if so change it back to NONE or turn the LOM setting off. I presume that the gen is outputting the correct voltage and Hz.

also can you see the voltage and hz on the multiplus as below - this will confirm the correct voltage and Hz settings

1638096357885.png

1638096539333.png

1638096357885.png (18.5 KiB)
1638096539333.png (18.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

memilanuk avatar image
memilanuk answered ·

Have you tried watching the generator frequency when it's running?

I just went through something similar yesterday/this morning, where my new MultiPlus 12|2000|80-50 Compact wouldn't sync with the onboard Onan 2500LP generator in my slide-in truck camper - not good! Someone suggested checking the frequency, and I noticed that the generator was running surprisingly high (62.5-62.8 hz). Even though the wide frequency range setting was toggled on, the MP didn't seem to be wanting to go over about 61.5 or so, so it was never gonna sync up. I disabled the UPS function, and it clicked right in. Repeated the test a couple more times, no problems.

I know you said you already tried that... but for reference, I never touched the 'Weak A/C' or 'Dynamic Current' settings. Maybe that's the difference? Anywho, might be worth looking at the AC input frequency (generator) vs. AC output frequency (MultiPlus) in the Victron Connect app while hooked up via the Mk3 adapter. HTH!

2 |3000

overland avatar image
overland answered ·

I wanted to say thank you so much for the suggestions. I turned out the Frequency was too high. Something like 67Hz. I adjust the throttle screw and turned it down and it Connected! I wouldn't have figured this out without this forum. Thanks

2 |3000