question

drewbie avatar image
drewbie asked

DC-DC Non-Isolated Charger - Charging Disabled

Morning, Hoping some one can shed some light on my potential issue. I have been revamping my camper van and have installed a DC-DC 12v 30amp non-isolated charger to replace a VSR I had previously. I have also installed a Victron IP22 charger. The IP22 all works as expected and I can see it charging the battery. As a test I connected a Victron IP65 Charger (12v 10amps) I have in powersupply mode to the DC-DC 12v Charger as test before I fit it to the vehicle (I set the powersupply to output over 14volts). Now if the battery is not connected the DC to DC charger says its in bulk charging mode. As soon as I connect the battery it disables the charge. I have double checked all the battery and charge settings and they are correct.

This is my setup for some context :). pxl-20211126-105837302.jpg

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @drewbie

A 30A Orion (is it?) will overwhelm a 10A IP65, and probably trip on low V, despite your 14V setting. Try it with a battery in between, or even wind the Orion V down close to batt V so it won't draw full current.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drewbie avatar image
drewbie answered ·

@JohnC Hi John, I did increase the Voltage to 14.70, but I did think maybe the the 10amps wasn't enough and something was kicking in. I don't have a spare battery to but will see about winding the voltage down. Cheers :)

2 |3000

drewbie avatar image
drewbie answered ·

@JohnC I dropped the voltage output on the DC-DC and it started to charge, so it just must be it can't pull enough amps. Thanks for the pointer :)

2 |3000