question

charmcityboater avatar image
charmcityboater asked

Isolation transformer wiring question

Simple question. I am installing an isolation transformer and a 12/3000 multiplus charger on a sailboat. I assume the isolation transformer gets installed first, right after the shore power cord and ELCI breaker then the multiplus correct? I ask because I had seen some diagrams that show the isolation transformer wired after the multiplus on the AC output side of the multiplus.

looking for confirmation.

thanks

phil

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

Isolation transformer goes between your shore power connection and any other electrical connection in your system. The whole point is to eliminate the DC electrical path between your marina and your boat. You do not want your prop or keel to become the main grounding conductor for the marina!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ftlsailor avatar image
ftlsailor answered ·

I just want to add some other questions. If we are less than 10 feet from the shore power inlet, we do NOT require an ELCI on the shore side of the isolation transformer, right?

Also, should there be ANY breaker between the shore power inlet and the isolation transformer?

Ricky

2 |3000

christern avatar image
christern answered ·

As I have understood the ISO13297 it requires the RCD to be at a max cable length of 3 meters away from inlet. If the ELCI is equal to an RCD then it should be right.

I haven’t seen anything stated on breakers between inlet and the IT. Haven‘t looked for it either.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic