question

nancybeaumont avatar image
nancybeaumont asked

120V AC or 240V AC in, 240V AC out - what device do I need?

I have a fairly unique situation...I currently live in the UK, and will use my campervan here, but I also plan on shipping my van out to the US at some point in the future. I want to install shore hookup, so if I was just in the UK I would install the MultiPlus, however when I ship it out to the US presumably this won't work because they are on 120V. I have come across the Quattro which looks like it would maybe be able to have one 120V AC input and one 240V AC input, but I am not 100% sure...

Essentially what I need to be able to do is plug into shore hookup both in the UK and the US, using 240V or 120V, with the output always being 240V. Does anyone know how I can do this? Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@nancybeaumont

Choose your inverter size for your loads in a 230V model.

Then you will need to answer the question do you want to hook up on 120v source for charging only or will you want to be able to use the source through the inverter as well.

if it is charging only, then a charger that can do dual frequency (50 and 60 htz) and voltage (120v and 230v) to charge your battery bank is easy to set up. Victron have the centaur that can do this. The limitation is is only does 12v and 24v systems.

There is also the option of the auto transformer. but this is a bit more complicated (in my opinion) to set up and you would also need to consider the fact that the us is 60htz and uk is 50htz as well in programming the inverter and your loads.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Just to add, there's a lot of 240V AC kit that will run on 50 or 60Hz. So chosen wisely, it might not be as bad as expected.

But my preference would be the centaur route and to minimise AC use as much as possible

0 Likes 0 ·