question

providence460 avatar image
providence460 asked

Multiplus 3000/120/12 overload

We recently installed a multiplus 3000. It replaced the original equipment Freedom 20 (2000 watt) inverter.

On shorepower, when our 120v refrigerator, factory built in) it starts fine. Except occasionally causes the multiplus to "assist". It also throws the refrigerator breaker.

When inverting, the refrigerator will overload the inverter and the multiuser shuts down and resets. If the refrigerator is running, and we shut off shorepower, it runs fine.

If I start the 5.5 kw generator, it will do the same overload.

I have replaced both starting and run capacitors on the refrigerator.

Electrical system includes:

4 Battleborn lithium 100ah

2/0 gauge between batteries.

4/0 gauge from Bank to lynx distributor.

2/0 gauge from lynx to multiplus. (1.5 ft length at most)

So I am asking if anyone would know any ideas why the refrigerator on start up is overloading the multiplus on start up?

Thank you

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

My guess would be that the refrigerators start current is way over the capacity that the Multiplus can provide.

please look up the locked rotor current for your fridge compressor

you will have to install a soft start unit on your fridge to reduce the starting current load -

As a general rule on startup the single phase electric motor usually draws 2 to 4 times its run current

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.