question

dsatwork avatar image
dsatwork asked

Orion-TR Smart 12/12V-30A Isolated Charger w/ 60amp breaker tripping

I have the Orion-TR Smart 12/12V-30A Isolated Charger w/ 60amp breaker after the battery that keeps tripping. I see there are many comments from others on a thread that would lead me to believe that it is the breaker I purchased off of Amazon that is likely the culprit. But really how bad can these breakers be that would have my tripping a 60amp breaker. I'm going to look at the input wires tomorrow to see if there is an issue with one some copper straying on the positive side. Is there anything else I can be looking for? the install at the battery appears to be clean and I'm using 6 gauge wiring from engine compartment to the tailgate and anderson style 50amp connectors

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Your Orion can output 40A for short periods and under short circuit conditions 60A.

Given the number of negative reports about the cheap breakers, suggest you simply replace with a decent fuse and isolator switch after checking for obvious problems.

I'm going to do that myself. Reliability is key and I don't want problems when I'm away.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tom-dv avatar image tom-dv commented ·
The latest models are limited at 30Amps. The models that go to 40A are the ones that are getting to hot and reduces power very fast due the temperature.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ tom-dv commented ·
I've just bought a 12/24. There's no mention of this in the manual, which also covers the 12/12 30.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic