question

alexis-chalopin avatar image
alexis-chalopin asked

Quattro surge when charging

Hi everybody,

I am coming to you because i got a recent issue with my Quattro 8000VA.

Since yersteday, when charging, it seems some over tension are appearing on the all system. Inverter side is working well : i got all my consumption plugged on it and no issue.

On charger side, when generator is starting suddenly the lights (in the house) goes up once the Quattro starts charging then after few seconds Quattro shut down the charging, and it goes like this again and again...

Strange part is that there are no error message or leds on quattro. I can not detect this over tension when measuring on several point. I did some testing by phisically disconnecting the output of quattro and it does not want to charge neither. And finally, even if i plugged my house directly on generator (nothing on quattro output) once the charger is starting overtension on lights goes again...

I checked everything on myside, but could not find and no more ideas ... maybe anybody already noticed something like this ?

Thank you in advance !

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Alexis Chalopin

This sounds like an issue with your genset. Possibly supplying a higher Voltage than what the Quattro is set to deliver alone. And varying too.

The Quattro will accept ACIN to the tolerances for V and Hz it's been given, and these are usually extended when a genset is used, as many gensets can vary quite a bit. So it may see it as ok one minute and accept the feed (which it passes through to your lights at the same V).

Then the V wanders a little too high, the Quattro trips the feed, and it goes back to inverting at it's own V. Note the Quattro can't both invert and charge/passthrough at the same time, and the loads will see genset-grade power while accepting it.

Possible too that the genset is tripping on overload, but you can limit what you take from it.

There's a little about it here.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Maybe take a look at Dynamic Current Limiter, which will bring the genset on more slowly, and give it time to wind up.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alexis-chalopin answered ·

Hi JohnC,

First of all thanks a lot for tour answer !

I dont think that this is the genset because i have same behaviour when using thé one from m'y neighbour (who is also using its with Victron charger without any issue..).

For the current assist, please sée screenshot attached : if i am correct it is already on..

screenshot-2021-11-16-13-38-03-67-e2d5b3f32b79de1d.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Alexis Chalopin

If you're using AC2IN, 16A is quite a bit for a 'portable' genset, and you could try it lower to see if that makes a difference. With that 'Overruled by remote' checked, the setting in a GX device (if installed) will take charge anyway.

The 'Dynamic Current Limiter' is unchecked. Put a tick in that one.

Maybe also ask your neighbour what settings he's using.

0 Likes 0 ·
alexis-chalopin answered ·

@JohnC

Thank you for feedback.

Problem is found, apparently there is a problem with the Quattro.

Once the charger turns on, the frequency is jumping 150Hz (even for inverter side), a bit strange i do not know why...

Device is returned to local dealer and now waiting for feedback...

Have a nice day !

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthew Walsh avatar image Matthew Walsh commented ·
What was the feedback on this issue? Did the quattro have an a hardware fault?
0 Likes 0 ·