question

ianlitton avatar image
ianlitton asked

Multiplus 12/1600/70 inverter not switching on after batteries are switched off and on

I had a new Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70 fitted recently. Most of the time it works perfectly as expected. However, if I have to switch everything off (the Multiplus and the main battery switch) in order to work on the batteries or other wiring, the Multiplus then refuses to switch to inverter mode until I introduce shore power. Can anyone explain why this is? The steps taken are as follows:

- Switch off the Multiplus at the unit and also at the Phoenix Multi Control on the dashboard;

- Switch off the battery isolation switch and remove battery positive cables

- Carry out work on batteries/cabling

- Reconnect batteries

- Switch on battery isolation switch

- Switch on the Multiplus at the unit and at the Phoenix Multi Control

- The yellow "charge" LED on the unit flashes once, briefly, but the inverter does not come on.

- The order of switching on (at the unit first, or at the Phoenix Multi Control first) makes no difference

- Connect to shore power

- Turn Multiplus off at the unit and at the Phoenix Multi Control

- Switch Multiplus on again at the Phoenix Multi Control and at the unit

- The Multiplus makes an audible click and the inverter and charger functions start working as expected.

It seems the unit needs a "kick" from shore power to fire up again.

Some context:

- the Multiplus is about 2 months old

- once going, it functions as expected, inverting, and recognising shore power when connected

- the reset button has remained in at all times - no need to reset

- after the batteries were switched on on this occasion, the Multiplus was receiving 13.2v from the batteries, and the fuse was fine (it did start working after shore power was connected, so all the internals must have been working).

I can't imagine that this is expected behaviour. It is really inconvenient if a kick is needed from shore power every time the batteries are switched off and on again.

Thanks in anticipation of your thoughts.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
@IanLitton

It seems like a precharge thing for the power pack in the inverter.

It is lithium battery? Normally when you reconnect you need a way to precharge. The short circuit inrush current will make the lithiums shut down, connecting to shore will wake up the batteries and charge up the power pack.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ianlitton avatar image ianlitton commented ·
Thanks for your speedy response Alexandra. Yes, they are Victron Smart Lithium linked to a Victron 12/200 BMS. I hadn’t realised they behaved in this way. Is shore power the only way to achieve a precharge or is there a workaround?

One thing is confusing me: there was 13.6 volts on both sides of the Multiplus fuse when the inverter refused to work. Is that consistent with the batteries shutting down?

Thanks. Ian

0 Likes 0 ·