question

powerboy avatar image
powerboy asked

Low Battery warning and shutdown with ESS

HI All,

1. I have 3 sites all giving the same low alarms/warnings and then switching off although the voltages on the batteries are high. The common denominator is all batteries lead acid of sorts and running ESS.
  2. Site 1 - Multiplus 24/3000, 400Ah battery, 150/70 can bus MPPT, BMV700
  3. Site 2 - Multiplus 48/5000, 340aH battery, 150/70 can bus MPPT, BMV700
  4. Site 3 Quattro 48/8000 , 700aH Battery, 2 x 150/85 can bus MPPT, BMV700

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated especially from Victron themselves ( @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) as I see there have been quite a few postings regarding this issue but none have a definite resolution.

TIA.

ESSlow battery warning
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

I have 3 sites all giving the same low alarms/warnings and then switching off although the voltages on the batteries are high. The common denominator is all batteries lead acid of sorts and running ESS.

"voltages on the batteries are high" - measured with a multimeter?

If yes, measured during the low battery alarms?

When ESS is used, the low battery voltages/shutdown voltages set for the inverter are ignored. Instead the "Dynamic cut off" voltages set in ESS are used. The cause could be this (if the ESS dynamic cut off voltages are set too high).

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

powerboy avatar image powerboy commented ·

Hi Seb71, on 2 of the 3 site I have measured with a multimeter and the voltages are correct and remain high and yes when low alarms are being generated. I thought there might be a faulty BMV but not. I have lowered the dynamic cut off voltages by 1v but I will try lower them even more.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 powerboy commented ·
List your actual voltage values from measurements and from your settings.
0 Likes 0 ·
system avatar image
system answered ·

I installed three Quattro (15KVA) units to create a three-phase system with a Pylontech battery (US5000). The battery is divided into three groups, one for each inverter.

When I tried to activate the ESS assistance for the three inverters, the second and third inverters got activated , but the first inverter failed, it`s showing low battery voltage and the system shutting down.

I disactivated the ESS only for the first inverter, and the system is functioning OK, but I want to operate the entire system with ESS. Please advise on the problem and possible remedies.

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic