question

Ole Adebahr avatar image

MPPT 250 earth fault monitoring

In general I am very happy with your MPPT controllers, but I do have the same problem as the author of "Earth Fault Alarm Monitor in parallel to the MPPT250/100". Since there was no real solution within the answer, I suggest you built a monitoring system into the controller as all the grid inverter manufacturers do for the Australian market.

MPPT - Solar Charge ControllerESS
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
mblowes avatar image

I can add that with AS5139 the assumption is that my 48V power shed is now a 250V power shed. This is due solely because of the MPPTs. :-(. All the wiring , load disconnects etc have to be changed now. Also it looks like the fusing capability of the Lynx wont cover the need. Both positive and negative have to be fused. So one last look at my beautiful blue wall of Victron before all the other stuff goes on..

img-9028-2.jpg (2.3 MiB)

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mblowes avatar image

AS5139 is an interesting read.

The AERL Earthguard may be another option for this.

I'm also looking for information on the separation between the input and output side of the MPPT solar controllers. Appendix C of the standard suggests that for devices dc coupled to the battery bus without appropriate separation then the whole system has to be rated at the input voltage of the MPPT.

That would kind of void the wiring of the 100 year old lead acid battery rooms. I guess the manufacturers of integrated AC coupled batteries like that.

negawatts avatar image

Also wonder if Victron has a built-in solution yet? Or if not an inexpensive way of doing it - besides the Morningstar solution?

Danlowey avatar image

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager),

And progress on the topic?

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image

Hello Ole,

Victron R&D and head office is aware of this issue.

The new Australian Standard AS 5139:2019 that covers electrical installations for Battery systems with power conversion equipment will require Earth fault alarms and disconnection for all systems above 60V, which could even include 24V systems as it is common to connect 2 x 60 cell panels in this arrangement.

This new standard is currently in draft, but will likely be approved in the next 6-9 months.

There is a 3rd party solution available at the moment using Morningstar ground fault protection units.

But I agree 100% that this should be a feature build in at these voltages.

I am preparing a report to help with this process, any further information that you could provide about this would be useful.

1 comment Share

Hi Guy,

Has there been any progress on this topic?