question

john-strein avatar image
john-strein asked

How to wire two IP22 chargers in parallel

I know one can parallel these IP22 chargers but not sure the wire routing to do so. Does one run two sets of wires to the battery-------one set (+ and -) from the first charger and another set from the second charger? Or, can one wire them such that only one set of cables come from both chargers and attach to the battery + and -???

Any help would be appreciated. Any drawings would be especially helpful since I am a visual learner.

Thank you

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The idea here is to balance the total resistance in the leads from the chargers to the battery. Then each charger will share the same load. As most systems tend to end up with BUS BARS on the battery connections, this would be a good place to connect the chargers. If both chargers are at some distance from the battery, and you want to use a single cable for this, it must be able to take the current of both the chargers. In this case, similar to wiring 2 batteries in parallel, the cable will go to the positive of one charger, and the negative of the other. The remaining positive terminal is paralleled with a slightly smaller wire, the negative with an identical length of wire. The drawback to the single cable method is that the terminal size of the charger may not be sufficient to take both the combined cable plus the link cable.

Independent cables would be my preferred solution.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic