question

shawn0900 avatar image
shawn0900 asked

Isolation Transformer Marine Use Schematics?

Where can I find schematic examples of installing this unit on a boat? I plan to use the 3600 for galvanic isolation on my 40'ailboat on a 30A shorepower circuit, but cannot find any schematics showing one. I know it's relatively simple, but would like to see what the recommended marine installation looks like, including breakers etc.

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

if this is the animal you are referring to:

WP-GI 3600 Compact Galvanic Isolation-transformer

Then:

https://www.whisperpower.com/phpimg/wp_product_groep_download_493_0a_5012WP-GI-Compact_User_Manual.pdf

will give the details. As this has center taps on both input and output, it will be possible to use this as a 240 / 120 converter, eliminating the need for an additional auto-transformer. Input breaker should be an RCD type, casing of the transformer should be the the Boat's Earth circuit (Grounding anode). As there is no automatic voltage sensing, a transfer switch with voltage sensing would need to be used. This can be configured with over-voltage and under-voltage trips - if you want to use both 120 and 240 input.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ftlsailor avatar image
ftlsailor answered ·

I think he means the Victron 3600 Iso transformer, not some other brand.

2 |3000

christern avatar image
christern answered ·

I recently installed one in my boat and had a few challenges understanding the manual (must be stupid). Anyway, this is how I connected it.

1. Incoming shorepower on the left side.
2. Outgoing on the right side and from there to the RCD and onwards to the breakers which are connected to the outlets in the boat. (RCD -> breakers etc was already in place)
3. I also connected the grounding of the casing to my ground plate (at the bottom of the hull)

1 comment
2 |3000

ftlsailor avatar image ftlsailor commented ·
Just to confirm, there is no breaker on your boat between the shore power inlet and the isolation transformer.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic