question

Jay Kote avatar image
Jay Kote asked

The 3000VA 24V Low Cuttoff is 21v? Can this be programmed to go lower?

Can the 3000VA Multiplus Low Voltage Cutoff be set below 21.5V?

Multiplus-II
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jay Kote avatar image Jay Kote commented ·

My customer has a custom battery 6S. The battery is safe to go to 19.8 - 20.5V, but recommends 20v low-cut off. Can the Inverter work at 20V?

What is lowest voltage that the inverter will operate properly. I have read two numbers 19.5. Youtuber said must be well above 21.5, because of a problem with Inverter software.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Jay Kote commented ·

As in past posts for 24v packs you must have 8S arrangement, other wise you are wasting you time to skimp using 6S it doesn't work properly.

-1 Like -1 ·
4 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Is it a Tesla battery module?

most Lithium ion batteries can be safely discharged to 3,3 V per cell, some even have energy left at 3,2 V
Tesla cells are pretty much empty below 3,3 V so 20V is a good setting, cells that have energy to 3,2V I use 19,2 V lower cutoff

The inverter works down to 18 V but in ESS mode might stop earlier.

(these values are at low C discharge rates, say 0,25-0,35 C)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

best-lithium-battery avatar image
best-lithium-battery answered ·

The 6S is for sure not LiFePO4 and when using other chemistry you get problems for 12 V and 24 V installations. One problem is low voltage for inverter and some other high loads. Another much bigger problem is if connecting 24 V standard charger (i.e. 28.8 V) at 6S NMC battery, which must be charged at max of about 25 V. That's the reason why recommendation is to use 8S LiFePO4 if custom for 24 V system and no problem to hook on Victron 24 V inverter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Jay Kote avatar image Jay Kote commented ·

Whether something is lithium or not lithium has nothing to do with "6S." You can take lead-acid and make it a 6S battery, you can take lithium and make it 6S. I can take AAA batteries from dollar store and make them 6S. Or I could make them 8S.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jay Kote avatar image
Jay Kote answered ·

Yes, low voltage cut-off can be reprogrammed. But you should be aware of the RESTART issue below 21.8V. Even though you can operate the inverter below 21.8v (down to 19v), it will not re-start unless the power goes back up to 21.8v (assuming you turned it off).

Although many customers are requesting a fix, it appears that Victron is not going to fix this issue. The reason given is hardware limitation and software is not easy to change.

See the post Tesla 50% SOC:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/5217/tesla-model-s-battery-multiplus-can-not-turn-on-in.html

BTW, there is nothing magic about '6S" or "8S". You can have lithium or non-lithium at 6S, 7S, 8S, or whatever. You will just have to know the V-I characteristics from the manufacture of the battery.

2 comments
2 |3000

lassestu avatar image lassestu commented ·

Can't see why there should be a hardware limitiation when the inverter can work fine all the way down to 37.2V on a 48V model. I think its more of a software problem, but it may not be, its not that we are getting the informative answers besides time consuming fixes.

It also seems like there is alot of undocumented features that I see many folks havent got answered, like why 48v inverters start using grid power at 41V when theres plenty of battery juice left.

Theres so many things that I would love to get answered, but im afraid I wont get it clearly explained.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jay Kote avatar image Jay Kote lassestu commented ·

Oh, I agree. The idea there is a hw limitation (see the official response) is interestingly worded. I have spoken to someone on-line who tells me he was given a patched one that works.

Apparently, the whole test voltage on restart was disabled. It works fine. He refuses to tell me who he worked with at the company for fear he will get the employee in trouble, now that there has been an official answer from the top.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey all; some replies:

@rvsolartech wrote:

> The idea there is a hw limitation (see the official response) is interestingly worded. I have spoken to someone on-line who tells me he was given a patched one that works. Apparently, the whole test voltage on restart was disabled. It works fine. He refuses to tell me who he worked with at the company for fear he will get the employee in trouble, now that there has been an official answer from the top.

It sounds rather unlikely for such firmware to exist; but I can assure you that no-one will get in trouble. Its not thát easy to get into trouble here. :-).

@lassestu wrote:

> Can't see why there should be a hardware limitiation when the inverter can work fine all the way down to 37.2V on a 48V model.

There is a hardware limitation in the 12V models: its internal power supply can't start up below ~10.9V. Once running; it can remain operational down to the ~9.3V. Back in the days; the choice was made to keep the ratio between the 12/24/48 V the same. For simplicity. Even though the hardware of the 24V and 48V doesn't need that high a voltage to start up.

There is another limitation, relating to transformer ratios (is that the right english?). At too low voltages, the inverter/charger won't be able to make a true sine any more: it can't reach the required peak to peak voltage.

Which is also the answer to the other question, written by @lassestu:

> It also seems like there is alot of undocumented features that I see many folks havent got answered, like why 48v inverters start using grid power at 41V when theres plenty of battery juice left.

The answer is that below 41V, the inverter can't make a true sine any more, and because of that it stops PowerAssist, GridAssist, Feedin; or how ever you call it ;-). Reason being that to continue feeding in at those low voltages would create 3rd harmonics in the current and other issues.

---

All together, there is indeed possible some room for improvement by changing the software. Why do I write 'possibly'? because it needs looking into to make sure that there are not more issues when lowering those thresholds. And all that together, plus some other projects that I've judged has higher priority are the reason we are not looking into this now. Hopefully/probably later there is more possible.

I do see the importance (and commercial value) of second-life batteries. But we can't do all always now. And, in some cases, adding feature on feature on feature is nice for someone; but then bad in total because also our distributors & support teams need to keep up. Being worthwhile to sell, support and install, as well as being a swiss army knife; can be a difficult balance at times.

Hope this clears it up; and sorry to not make it all work now.

Matthijs

ps, @lassestu, you wrote:

> Theres so many things that I would love to get answered, but I'm afraid I wont get it clearly explained.

If you can find me someone that is able to work answers into the documentation properly; while keeping it readable for a novice as well as having all the answers at the right place for the expert; I'll be here to help find them!

1 comment
2 |3000

lassestu avatar image lassestu commented ·

Thanks for clearing up alot of answers my mind was having!

Now it has some free space for more questions :)

About the "so many things": Its easy to be a bit harsh when you are frustrated and have no hair left on your head, it was never an intention to be cruel. Sorry if it was taken that way.

0 Likes 0 ·