question

georbro3 avatar image
georbro3 asked

Is it safe to oversize the solar panel array for winter time?

I have four 100 watt solar panels in series, total voc 89.2 volts, Vmp 74.4 volts, Isc 5.86 amps, Imp 5.38 amps. The nominal BlueSolar 100/20-48 panel spec is for 300 watts total PV, but this is for summer. I am wondering if it is safe to use the 4 100 watt panels for winter time operation when we have short days that are often cloudy? The 2 controller(s) are a BlueSolar 100/20-48 connected to a single 12 volt 200 AH LifePO4 battery.

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jwfrary avatar image jwfrary commented ·
I assume you have 2 panels in series connected to each controller?
0 Likes 0 ·
georbro3 avatar image georbro3 jwfrary commented ·
4 100w 18v panels in series to each controller. 72-75 volts operating, ~88 volts open circuit.
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
siim-kroon avatar image
siim-kroon answered ·

In cold conditions the PV output may go higher than in specs. You must not go over the MPPT limits or you will fry it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Hi. You must stay within the voltage limits this is key or you will try it.

You can however use a smaller controller than your maximum theoretical amps you just wont get the max charge rate, yield may well be higher though.

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Yes you can, but besides max input voltage, also check max input current from the panels!

The maximum input current is listed in the datasheets.

PS I'm moving this topic from the 'modifications' section.

2 |3000