question

kris-bird avatar image
kris-bird asked

Multiplus C 12/1600/70 shuts off during charge

My new multuplus C 12/1600/70 is occasionally shutting off during charge, going to a red LED. After a short while it resumes charging.

I noticed this so I connected the usb device and loaded Victron Connect. After a short while it happened again and I got this-

screenshot-2021-10-24-at-200304.png screenshot-2021-10-24-at-203150.png

Meanwhile the battery shows this, with no over voltage, undervoltage errors or any BMS-induced battery shut off-

img-8696.png

The AC output cable of the inverter is mostly disconnected while I'm testing or with a small load- behaviour either way is the same. There is nothing else in the DC circuit:- just the multiplus with its factory cables, (-) straight to battery, (+) into a 200A breaker, then 50mm2 cable for 20cm to battery.

Any idea what these errors / shut downs could mean?

Kris

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kris-bird avatar image
kris-bird answered ·

Bump... After further testing and cycles, the behaviour is the same. It restarts perhaps every 20 minutes during recharge

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Kris Bird

It looks like DC ripple. Try charging at a lower current. Check battery connections on lugs and cable size (from inverter to pack) - is it to spec? if it is your own built pack then links to the right torque etc. Ripple can be caused by charging too fast for the rating of the bms as well as loose links. Or your bms although not reporting it has an issue, may need a calibration setting or two. The one you are using has some chatter about current calibration on forums, not used that one specifically it is just what I have seen with one or two built packs.

2 |3000