question

marcel avatar image
marcel asked

The isolated Orion 24/12 20A for charging from a 24V system?

I have a 24V battery-bank, powered by solar panels and a 12V battery, powered by a windmill. I want to be able to charge the 12V battery also from the 24V system. I'm thinking the Isolated Orion 24/12 20A should do the job. Is that the right choice or am I overlooking anything?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
marcel avatar image
marcel answered ·

The battery (12V) in question is a 140 Ah gel battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Just about to do the same thing in my van. But in the opposite direction.

From 24V to 12V I have a similar Orion, can't remember the current rating. This feeds the starter battery through a trickle charger to stop the alternator from frying my 12V stuff, but I don't think you'll need that

2 |3000

nicetrip avatar image
nicetrip answered ·

shiuld work as what I heart, just that the none BT Orions can’t be set to two stage charging, and that is what lifepo4 batteries want. So if you have an Orion with adjustable output on the site where you want to charge (thats why there are 12/24 and 24/12) then for lifepo you have to set output to float voltage 13.6 and not to the desired charge voltage 14.6

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic