question

william avatar image
william asked

CCGX not showing solar input on front panel

This image (taken from internet) shows a CCGX indicating that there is solar input, the orange block at lower right.

We have an off-grid system with Multiplus inverter/charger, diesel generator, batteries and solar array. We don't see the orange block for solar input on our CCGX display.

In this image below our generator is running, shown in the Grid block (is that correct? Should it be called 'Generator' rather than 'Grid'?). At the same time our solar array was generating around 2 kW but is not shown. Why is that?

This problem, if it is one, may be connected with the fact that when logging generated data and uploading to the VRM site we do not see solar data, even though we have this setting checked:

'Synchronize VE.Bus SOC with battery'

CCGX Color Controlsolar
victron-panel.jpeg (5.6 KiB)
img-0408.jpg (4.9 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

For the red box to show generator, you have to tell the system that there is a generator connected there. Go to Setting -> System Setup -> AC Input 1 and choose Generator from the options.

How is your solar array connected and what PV Inverter are you using? Is it AC coupled? If so, where? AC In or AC Out?
If it is DC coupled, what charge controller are you using?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

william avatar image
william answered ·

'How is your solar array connected?'. Panels are in series, is that what you mean? (Probably not).

We use SMA Sunny Boy 2500HF, AC coupled.

'AC In' or 'AC Out'? I'm away from the installation (didn't install it so I don't have all answers from memory). I'll check when next there.

Thanks for helpful pointers.

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Ah, so it is a SMA PV Inverter. That's good to know.
We still need to know if it is connected on the AC In or AC Out side of the MultiPlus, but fir now let's see if we can get the CCGX to detect the SMA.

Is the SMA connected to the network? If so, it needs to be on the same network as the CCGX is.
There is a bit of configuration to do on the SMA inverter in order for the CCGX to be able to detect and read information from it.
Please read through and follow the steps outlined in this article:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:ccgx_sma

2 |3000

william avatar image
william answered ·

That looks interesting. Thank you.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I don't think the SMA Sunny Boy 2500HF has webconnect features.

You may need to use an AC current sensor or energy meter:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:start

2 |3000

william avatar image
william answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff) Yes, our Sunny Boy doesn't have WebConnect. So we could hardwire an Energy Meter ET112 to our CCGX and that would do what we want I think.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

In my case I used the AC current sensor, on my Grid tie PV inverter and a assistant connecting the Sensor to Aux1, and then the tile appeared

The Pv Inverter is connected to AC1 out and I am also using the ESS assistant

as Guy has sugested

2 |3000

william avatar image
william answered ·

Sunny Boy PV inverter is connected to the distribution panel, so it's on the AC Out side of the Multiplus.

For CCGX to read PV output I understand I need to use either a current sensor or an energy meter. Any opinions as to which is the better method?

2 |3000

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic