question

bluejeans avatar image
bluejeans asked

The right Raspberry PI?

I know nothing about Raspberry Pi, but reading and watching lots of vids trying to learn. It seams you can get a lot of bad clones on Amazon or ebay. I found several links with Pi3 boards from Raspberry Pi, so that the quality is there. But none of them seam to have the Pi3 screens. They have all moved onto Pi4.

Where can I find a link for a quality Pi3 screen or combo Pi3 screen and board?

Raspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The “Official 7” Raspberry Pi Touchscreen” will work on all RPI3 and RPI 4 models. Maybe others.

You can also find 7” HDMI touch screens some of which work fine with Venus OS.

The thing to watch out for is the v1.4 board of the RPI 4 models. It’s difficult to tell which board the RPI 4 is and everything currently shipping is the v1.4 board regardless of memory size. The v1.4 boards will not boot Venus OS. So for now it’s best to stick with the RPI 3.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bluejeans avatar image bluejeans commented ·

My question is where to find the official touchscreen. It is out of stock everywhere that i am looking. The Pi4 screen is available, suggesting (to me) it does not work with the Pi3.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Waveshare have them in stock and also the rapi3 B+. They have there own brand rapsi touch screens.

A note: on the rapsi 4 Ver PCB 1.4, it can boot the Venus software just not the touch screen is active yet, You need to install the latest raspi kernal driver files to the Uboot folder to make it boot.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

1 comment
2 |3000

bluejeans avatar image bluejeans commented ·

Do you have a link? My Google of Waveshare shows out of stock on the Pi3

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Yes there is shortage world wide, we do have stock in NZ at some of our electronic suppliers but at twice the price of course.

https://www.waveshare.com/product/raspberry-pi/boards-kits/raspberry-pi-3/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-plus.htm

2 |3000

Brian Brown avatar image
Brian Brown answered ·

I don't know where you are located, but in the US I just bought one of these for my Pi4 and the touch screen works fine. The documentation says it works with the Pi3 B+. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L6WT77H?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

2 comments
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
If you have an older ver PCB 1.1 or 1.2 is OK
0 Likes 0 ·
Brian Brown avatar image Brian Brown commented ·

Just to clarify this EVICIV 7 is an HDMI touchscreen (not an Official Raspberry Pi 7" Touch Screen) and the touchscreen interface works fine on a Pi4 1.4 (8G) running Raspberry Pi OS. It does not work with "venus-image-raspberrypi4-20210830190549-v2.73.rootfs.wic.gz" even when you are able to get it to boot by replacing start4.elf and fixup4.dat files in /u-boot. The USB ports don't work on the Pi4 1.4 with venus v2.73. A USB port is required for the HDMI touchscreen operation. Once the USB port problem on the Pi4 1.4 venus image is fixed, then maybe the touchscreen could work. It's still best to buy Pi3 Model B or Pi3 Model B+ if you can find them.

0 Likes 0 ·