question

simon-forester avatar image
simon-forester asked

Solar parallel / serial on a narrow boat roof

Hello,

I currently have 3 solar panels in series on the roof of my narrow boat, and have ordered 3 more. As I have a 150/70 MPPT, I need to setup the panels in parallel / serial.

To minimize the impact of shading, I was thinking to get the best performance over the two sets of panels, I should stagger them.

The first series would be panels 1, 3 and 5, and the second series would be 2, 4 and 6.

Am I right that this should provide the best output, or am I over thinking things?

Many thanks,

Simon

Solar Panel
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Shade is very specific for each location that you should dock at.

You have given no panel pecs, or system voltage?? To recommend pv array??

You should probably string your array's up as to that is most efficient, and put more planning into exactly where you should dock for best solar availability.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

For the array in 3 series with 2 strings in parallel, I would connect the 123 as a string and 456 as a string (in series) then connect the 2 strings in parallel at the charge controller. The modules have - or should have- diodes internally to take care of partial shading. This also means that additional connectors wont be needed.

Keep It Simple is a good rule.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic