question

tadfar avatar image
tadfar asked

DC to DC Charger porblems need help

I have an Isolated Victron Orion-TR Smart DC-DC Charger installed in an 2022 Airstream Flying Cloud 23CB. The tow vehicle is a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel.

I first wired it as the direction stated, Black 7-pin wire to positive input, white 7-pin (ground) to negative input. Then Black positive output to positive busbar in same spot the direct wire was before. And the white negative output was wired to the negative budbar.

In the above configuration none of the outside lights including turn signals and brake lights worked, seems the white 7-pin wire needed to be grounded to have the exterior (7-pin lights) work.

So i rewired it once again returning the 7-pin white directly to the busbar. And wired both input and output negatives to the same busbar. In thid configuration the lights work.

However in both configurations as soon as the charger kicks in the voltage of my alternator drops to 9 volts and the charge shuts off, shows error of engine shut down detection.

I tuned engine shut down detection feature off. And then the low voltage shut off happens when it drops to 9 volts.

In the gladiator at idle it puts out 12.5 to 12.9 volts, when i put it in drive it goes up to 13.2 to 13.9 volts, still idling in the driveway. But either in park or in drive as soon as the Victron Charger kick in the voltage drops to 9 volts. As soon as the charger shuts off due to engine shutdown or low voltage the Gladiator voltage climbs back up to 12.5 volts in park and 13.2 in drive.

A couple of minutes later when the charger kick back on the same process starts again.

Any ideas? Is my alternator bad? Wired charger wrong? Is the Victron Charger bad? Do i need a non isolated charger?

Charger set to lithium, tried manual settings same result.

I am at a loss.

charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@tadfar

It is probably overloading the alternator. Usually standard alternators are barely enough for the vehicle they are installed in.

Measure the draw of your vehicle electrics, compare with the alternator total amp output capability. Then add the draw of the orion.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Someone had a similar problem recently. Shutdown detection level was set too high.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

the-doon avatar image
the-doon answered ·

Those thin wires in the 7 pin plug aren’t big enough for the DCDC charger. You need to run bigger wires from your car start battery through to the van via something like a 50A Anderson plug. The 7 pin plug wires are only meant to operate the lights (brake lights etc).

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic