question

michael-grundvig avatar image
michael-grundvig asked

Victron Multiplus 3000 Died After 15 minutes of use?

Right in the middle of our first trip with the inverter, we were cooking dinner on an 1800 watt induction hotplate. After a couple of minutes the inverter shut off and indicated low battery/overload intermittently. The battery wasn't actually low yet and I realized I'd not actually configured the battery settings so I ordered a MK3-USB to configure things (irritating it's not already bluetooth like everything else). This morning I fired up the inverter and it immediately did the low battery/overload thing. I turned it off, plugged in the Mk3 and turned it on again. Nothing. The mk3 can't find it either. Now it won't come on at all - no lights, nothing. The power at the terminals in the inverter when trying to turn it on is 26.8v. I verified there is no drop when the switch comes on. The only explanation the manual gives for this behavior is power either too high or too low.

Is my ~$1300 inverter dead after literally 15 minutes of use? How do I even debug this? I've already fully killed the power and brought it back and still nothing. I KNOW it fired up when the batteries were totally full at 27 volts the first time so I'm waiting for the charge to get back there now but not hopeful.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kallenr avatar image
kallenr answered ·

I assume this is OK, but you have a 24V multiplus, right?
the next thing that comes to my mind is the cable thickness and length.
what mm2 are your wires to the battery and how long are they?
The ground to the chassis of the vehicle or directly to the battery?

Which batteries did you install and how many amps are they each?
2 same new batteries?
The connection from battery 1 positive to battery 2 negative are these at least as thick as the wires to the inverter?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Off the cuff I would suspect that your battery cant supply the power required for your Multiplus as at 2000 watts that's about 80amps at 24 volts and I you have a battery with a internal BMS then thats usually about the limit the battery can supply and thus the BMS will turn the battery off

THIS is a total guess as I don't know what battery you have or how its configured. so if the above is incorrect which it likely is then please heaps more info on the setup

1. battery make and FULL specs

2. when under load whats the battery volts and whats the amps and watch these figures as the load increases.

3. have you got a GX device and do you have VRM monitoring available

4. all the internal VE.Config settings for the multiplus

5. cable size from the battery to the inverter and how long (pictures of the install are helpful

2 |3000