question

tdg1230 avatar image
tdg1230 asked

Shore supply to Victron

We have a Victron Quattro inverter our boat, in the last 6 months we have only connected to shore power on three occasions, 2 of those in the summer when we had solar power, the only way we have been able to get shore power into the boat was to set the switch on the inverter to charger only, we are now on a winter mooring and something is not right, when we plug the power in it appears to be providing enough power to run the boat systems but not charge the batteries. Should the Victron detect shore power automatically?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @TDG1230

Yes, it will auto-detect shore, and accept it if it's suitable. Unless of course it's been told to do otherwise.

But a typical Quattro will have an input current limit set so it won't overload a shore breaker. It will first satisfy any connected loads, then charge batts with whatever shore is left up to that set limit. Or if the loads exceed the limit it will add from the batts.

Maybe this is what you're seeing? You don't mention what other kit you have, so it's hard to advise the best way to change/set it. Come back if you need help with this..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tdg1230 avatar image
tdg1230 answered ·

Hi John, we havethe Quattro 12/5000/220, 2 x 290 watt solar panels, color control panel and blue power multi control with current limit set at 0.0, the only way I can power at the moment is to switch the inverter over to charger only, when set like that the inverter says "pass thru" and the batteries are not being charged from shore power, can you help further

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@TDG1230

I haven't used a Multi Control personally, so am unfamiliar. But it would seem the 0A setting might be your issue. That's really there for travellers to vary their system input when they strike shore supplies that can vary in capacity (to avoid tripping). And I'm surely unaware of whether the CCGX or MControl has first say.. I suspect the latter..

An exerpt from the MControl manual..

1633077237290.png

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Digital-Multi-Control-GX-Panel-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES.pdf

So if you have a 10A supply, maybe set to 9A.

There's also Input Current settings available within the Quattro and CCGX, but I don't think they'd have priority relevance.

Have a go..

0 Likes 0 ·
1633077237290.png (57.1 KiB)
tdg1230 avatar image
tdg1230 answered ·

Hi John,

Thanks very helpful

I've set it to 9.00 amps and that's changed things, the inverter flicked to Bulk, and then very quickly to Absortion, where it remains at the moment, the batteries are showing 100% so I assume at some point that will switch to Float, I noticed that as soon as I changed it, the energy coming from solar stopped. Shore power is showing at about 1000 watts at the moment.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@TDG1230

Yeh, if you want the solar to have priority, change the Quattro Absorb setpoint to very slightly below the solar charger. I find 0.1V (over 48V batts) enough, but you could go much lower and they'll still charge if you're not in a busting hurry.

Take care with the Quattro, it has a v powerful charge capacity, and you may wish to limit it to look after your batts. I'd limit the max Abs time too, so you don't overcharge.

I don't know your batt type or size, but if they still accept 1000W, they ain't 100%. But tuning SOC is another story.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·