question

psea avatar image
psea asked

BMV-712 Relays

Just installed a new lithium battery and the BMV-712. Been watching some videos on configuring the 712. Most mention setting the Low Voltage Relay. I have one lithium battery. Only have a victron 100/50 solar charger. That's it. Nothing else. Is a relay applicable in my set up? At a very basic level, when would one use a relay? Is it supposed to be used to trigger something in another device? Not sure how it would tell my solar charger to turn off. Thanks!

BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sherkatdaran avatar image sherkatdaran commented ·
thnx
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
simen avatar image
simen answered ·

If I understand your setup correctly, you do not need the relay. Your charge controller, if set up correctly, will stop charging your batteries when they reach their fully charged voltage.

The BMV-712 built-in relay can be useful for many other applications like;
*Turning the fridge off if the battery voltage or SoC gets too low
*Turning on a generator or enabling shore power if the voltage or SoC gets too low
*Enabling a water heater (or other power consuming device) only when the SoC or voltage is above a certain level.

I hope this helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.