question

vmmarwitz avatar image
vmmarwitz asked

Why is my battery voltage dropping or rising during 24 hours?

I have two lead acid batteries each 100Ah connected to a BlueSolar MPPT 100/20 with a SmartShunt connected to 4x100W modules. With this I run a small compressor refrigerator via a Phoenix inverter 800VA.
In summer everything was still ok, now in autumn I have these problems.

Details in the graphs below.

Many thanks and best regards

Volker

voltage-and-current-battery.jpg

pv.jpg

soc-and-power-battery.jpg

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

Battery voltage is proportional to SOC. The lower SOC, the lover the battery voltage.

Battery voltage drops under load because battery has and internal resistance.

Internal resistance depends on the battery temperature.

The lower the temperature the higher the internal resistance.

Also Battery capacity depends on its temperature.

Capacity is lower at lower temperature, so in lower temperature battery will discharge faster under the same load.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vmmarwitz avatar image
vmmarwitz answered ·

OK, but 2V jumps with a SOC of ~95% is this a usal behavior ?

2 comments
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

I thing your Smartshunt is not reporting true SOC of your battery.

Led-acid battery at 10.5V is completely discharged

That 2V drop happens under load and it indicates totally discharged battery.

bat-volt.gif

1 Like 1 ·
bat-volt.gif (10.1 KiB)
marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

Interesting info about LA battery internal resistance.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-distinguish-between-good-and-bad-12V-lead-acid-batteries-with-the-internal-resistance-value?share=1

Quick calculation of your battery internal resistance.

Current 5A

Voltage drop under load 0.2V

0.2/5=0.04 Ohm = 40 mOhms

Your battery according to the author from the above link is "Probably unusable".

From the link:

In a LA Battery, the lower the battery internal resistance the more the battery in good condition.
To be exact, for a 12V LA Battery,
If IR>30 milliohm, battery is in very bad condition. Probably unusable.
If IR is between 10 to 30 milliohm, still poor condition but may be usable or revivable.
If IR is between 5 to 10 milliohm, it is in good condition.
If IR is less than 5 milliohm, it is in very good condition.
But all this given criteria are just an estimate and does not guarantee the battery condition. As the condition depends upon some other factors too.

1 Like 1 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @vmmarwitz

It's not normal, and I think your batteries may have failed. Even with that tiny load they don't seem to hold V very well.

The Smartshunt mightn't be set up optimally either. That doesn't seem like a really good solar day for you, but it still managed to sync..

Batteries rarely fail together at the same time. You could try separating them to see if the 'bad' one stands out.

2 |3000