question

john-smith avatar image
john-smith asked

100v 100a controller - ok to use different brand panels in different strings?

The controller I’m getting has inputs for three strings of panels. Is it ok to use different panels as long as they are the same wattage and in the same string? Or do all the panels have to be the same brand?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
john-smith avatar image
john-smith answered ·

This is the model I’m getting

Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT MC4 VE. Can 150V 100 amp 12/24/36/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @John Smith

Presumably you'll be using 3x panels in each string for 'typical' panels.

I'd try to keep the panels in each string identical, but it's not absolutely essential if they're close. Same Watts too.

Between strings try to match the Vmp as closely as possible , so the mpp tracker can home in on the same V. The Watts (Amps, Imp) can be varied between strings, but not between panels in the same string.

Those 3 pairs of panel terminals exist only because MC4's have a 30A limit, and unless you exceed that 30A you could have multiple strings on each pair. They join together internally anyway, to the one-only tracker.

2 |3000