question

suggarman avatar image
suggarman asked

Adding ups- and backup-function to solaredge with byd

Hello,

i spent a lot of hours trying to find out my best backup configuration, but there seems to be no one having my configuration.

I have a solaredge SE10K-RWS with 14,85 kWp (ONO, so 10kW is ok) with BYD LVS 12kWh.

Now i want to add usv- and backup-function. What i found out is, that 3 multiplus would be the best option.

My highest used current is charging a car with 28A single phase in addition to the house consumption. This high current is not necessary in case of grid failure.

The first question is, If multiplus 3000 can handle that. What would happen if the grid fails while charging with 28A and the current of the house is another 8 A on that phase? This high-amp-charging usually only happens, when solaredge delivers this power.

Can i still send 10kW to the grid or will it be limited to 9kW (10kW to the grid is not often and not for long time) or will the Multiplus 3000 get damaged?

Can i leave the Battery connected to the solaredge and add an second BYD LVS to the 3 Multiplus so i could get additional 5kW AC from solaredge.

Or is it better to connect a single battery only to the 3 multiplus (maybe adding one ore two 4kWh-modules) and disconnect the battery from solaredge.

And at least a 8kVA-generator with good voltage-regulation should be manually connectable too.

Stefan

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daryl avatar image daryl commented ·

I have a 3phase multiplus system with BYD batteries so I could likely answer some of your queries but I have no idea what usv is.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
suggarman avatar image
suggarman answered ·

Sorry, in english it is UPS :-)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

basil katakuzinos avatar image
basil katakuzinos answered ·

Car charger can simply be connected behind the victrons so that during an outage they are not on backup, that way car charger is a no factor (But your solar edge can still feed back to supplement).

3Kva Multiplus * 3 = 9kva of AC Coupled solar allowed on the output side of the multis, your 10Kva is pushing just above this limit. Take a read of these articles

AC-coupling and the Factor 1.0 rule [Victron Energy]

Integrating with SolarEdge [Victron Energy]

2 |3000

suggarman avatar image
suggarman answered ·

Thanks for your reply. I knew this documents before. Between 3000W and 5000W multiplus 2 there are about 1500 EUR/ 1750 $, so it is worth to check all possibilities. The technical best option are 5000W. Maybe the solaregde could be limited to 9kW to fit with the 3000W multiplus. The loss of peak-power would be much cheaper then the 5000W multiplus.

I can limit the car charger current or set it to 3 phase (then it is 16A max), that is no problem, but it should be with backup power.

2 |3000

sunnygardener avatar image
sunnygardener answered ·

Hi Stefan / Suggarman,

did you succeed in building your system?

I´m specifically interested in your setup because you wanted to connect batteries to the SolarEdge and the Multiplus inverters.

Is there any preference which battery is discharged first?

Thanks,

Willi

2 |3000