question

paulstrutt01 avatar image
paulstrutt01 asked

Another failed update!!!!!!!!!! This time BMV 701 v.4.07

I'm getting really, really hacked off with these 'mandatory' firmware updates!!!!!! This morning, I had a piece of equipment that was working just fine. Then I tried to monitor it using my phone and hey presto, yet another ****ing update required. It seems like every time to use one of these bits of kit, some piece of software needs ****ing updating. WTF? I haven't changed anything. It was working. Now it isn't. Why in hell can't you just write a correct piece of software and then bloody leave it alone? I wouldn't even mind if you gave us a choice. I tell you, I would answer 'NO' every time.

Who is going to pay for my batteries if I can't monitor them and end up damaging them?

I will never, ever, buy a blue box again.

VictronConnect_report.log

firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Paul, terribly sorry about that. I understand your frustration. And I can already say that we're looking on how to change the approach to the mandatory-ness.

For the BMV, the common troubleshooting steps always work: keep the phone close; if possible try a different phone. Perhaps power cycle the product, as well as the other steps outlined here. Have you already tried those?

Meanwhile, I'll get engineer to analyse the log you provided.

EDIT: the minimum firmware for BMV-712 and SmartShunt upon connection is v4.03 - released in 2019. Only when entering the settings of the BMV, it will ask to update to v4.07. Unless you're running a beta version of VictronConnect, then its different: in beta versions, all firmware updates are mandatory.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Paul, we checked the log file, and see the update interrupting and then failing to recover at various percentages. The log contains a total of 12 (failed) updates.

In theory, if you keep trying, it will succeed in the end. But that might take a long time; if at all possible. And same, in theory, using another phone will most likely make it work since we're not being flooded with issues like this while having sold a massive amount of BMVs.

So, please let me know if its still failed. Then I'll contact you by email and get you a new one, that is already updated.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic