question

nivek-nijinsky avatar image
nivek-nijinsky asked

12 Volt Pump not working when connected to Victron SmartSolar Mppt Solar Charge Controller

I have a 12 Volt Pump

https://23bsolutions.com/product/everflo-ef5500-12v-diaphragm-pump-4-1-bar-20-8-lpm/

Connected to a Victron SmartSolar Mppt Solar Charge Controller 75/15

https://cosycampers.ie/victron-smartsolar-mppt-75-15-scc075015060r.html

My set up is 175 watt Solar Panel > MPPT > 12 VOLT Leisure Battery > MPPT > PUMP

When the pump is connected directly to the battery is works perfectly. But when it is connected like Battery > MPPT > Pump it doesn't work or is very week

BTW Connections are good and tight and I'm using 6mm cable

Do I just connect the pump straight to the battery?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
devodave avatar image
devodave answered ·

That pump pulls 13Amps, and possibly more on startup. The 175W panel is only going to put out 175Watts (=about 12Amps at 14.2Volts) in ideal conditions - summer sun on a cloudless day at midday somewhere near the equator. There will be losses due to wiring and the MPPT conversion process.

You are definitely not supplying enough power for the MPPT, and it may in fact also be over its rated output at startup. You need to leave the battery in the system to act as a buffer and additional capacity.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Dont forget the Load output is only rated for 15a.
0 Likes 0 ·
nivek-nijinsky avatar image nivek-nijinsky commented ·
Thanks for the advice.

Could I leave the pump connected to the battery and not connect the pump to the mppt?

Or do I just need to upgrade my MPPT.

0 Likes 0 ·
Philip Barclay avatar image Philip Barclay nivek-nijinsky commented ·
Just connect it directly to the battery, perhaps with a fuse/switch. Just then be mindful of low voltage scenarios since the pump will not get disconnected when the battery is low as it would if connected to the solar controller.
0 Likes 0 ·
nivek-nijinsky avatar image nivek-nijinsky Philip Barclay commented ·
Yeah that's what I'm thinking Philip.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·